This is my first full summer in New York City and I’m determined to not let the heat keep me curled up inside with my window AC unit. I’ve heard that the city gets quiet during the summer and because of that I should have some time off of work which I want to take advantage of! This city has so much to do, but usually I am working or spending my days off trying to decide what to do and then not doing anything. Now I am determined to have a list of what to do when I have free time. I live on a pretty tight budget (#youngadultinNYClife) so everything on this bucket list is relatively inexpensive or FREE which means there’s no excuse not to get out and enjoy the city of my dreams. Is there anything else I should add to this list??
- Beach Day– Growing up in Florida, the beach is something I took for granted. When I moved here I didn’t think going to the beach was even an option. Turns out I’m only a subway ride away from a few different beaches! My unlimited Metro card and I are ready for a day at the beach.
- Boat Basin– The Upper West Side is my favorite part of town, the Hudson River is one of the best views in the city and margaritas are hands down the best summer drink. Boat Basin combines all of those! My goal is to get a group of friends together one day and just spend the afternoon relaxing by the water.
- Picnic in the Park– Central Park is an escape from the concrete jungle, while being right in the middle of it all. I plan to spend a lot of time and save a lot of money by packing a backpack with lunch from home, a cold bottle of water, a blanket and a book and finding a big tree to lounge under for the afternoon. This is also a great option when someone says “Hey! Let’s go out to lunch” and you know your rent is due in just a few days.
- Take a train somewhere – Although a little more pricey and requires a bit more planning, I really want to take advantage of the fact that I can take a train pretty much anywhere I want from NYC. When I first moved here I took a train to Fire Island to see family. This year I am hopefully going to Connecticut or Rhode Island to see more family. So much cheaper than flying and part of the adventure would be the journey to the destination!
- Coney Island– As cheesy as it may be, I’m dying to check out Coney Island! It’s always something I always heard about but never knew anything about. Funnel cake and carnival rides sound like the perfect summer activity to me.
- Random ice cream shops- Dō , Ice & Vice, and 10 Below Ice Cream. If you are on Facebook, you have seen all of these in a video that makes you stop and drool. Any sort of unusual desert place can be found in this city, so why stick to normal scoops of ice cream when you can get cookie dough or rolled ice cream instead?
- Baseball- I’ve never been a huge sports person, but Yankee Stadium is not too far from me and sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon with friends. It is also the only place that hot dogs are a necessary food group!
As I check these off of my summer bucket list, I’m going to do my best to get an outfit post up from the day and let you all know the ups and downs of all of the activities! I may not have a “summer break” but that’s not going to stop me from enjoying everything this city has to offer.