One year ago I packed up and moved out of my parent’s house for the first time in my life. Not a lot of people believed me when I said I was moving to New York City until my feet actually hit the ground running. Sometimes it can feel like the world is against you when you make a huge life change like I did, but I am here to tell you that someone is always on your side. Even if it’s just me!
I have grown more as a person in this last year than I ever did in my 4 years of school, so I thought I’d share my top 10 lessons learned in my first year “adulting”. Some of these lessons I had to learn the hard way. If you’re getting ready to go off to school or your first job, learn from my mistakes to save yourself some heartache!
- Keep work and play separate.
- Beware of empty promises.
- Family is always top priority. They are the ones who will always be around.
- It may take a year, but learn who your real friends are.
- Figure out what’s worth fighting for and what needs to get kicked to the curb.
- Do what you love so you’re not working for the weekend.
- Everything happens for a reason. God always has a plan.
- Try new things.
- Have some fun! Work isn’t everything.
- Life. Goes. On.
Thank you to everyone who has been a consistent rock in my life, picked me up when I was down and cheered me on while I was thriving. You are my inspiration.
I am so thankful for every one of these lessons because they all made me stronger and better. This next year should bring even more adventures and lessons so stick around to see everything I have in store for you!